Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Let’s support human rights in Darfur

I’ve intended to write this post for a while. I think I’ve been avoiding it because I never knew where to begin, and thinking of Darfur makes me want to scream.

But, as I've been saying for the past few days, today is International Human Rights Day and the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. So, I just have to go for it.

It’s been more than five years. 450,000 people are dead. 2.5 million people have been displaced. And those are conservative estimates from the organizations tracking the ongoing genocide.

UNAMID and aid workers are repeatedly overpowered and attacked. The International Criminal Court prosecutor announced that he was requesting an arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir in July on charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide, but it will be another month before ICC judges rule on the request.

International, human rights and non-governmental organizations have written numerous reports on the condition of the people of Darfur. The latest report from Human Rights Watch and others debunks the myth of cooperation by the Sudanese government – a myth that has been propagated by the Sudanese government.

I’ve recapped all of this for two reasons.

First, if there is anyone out there who doesn’t know what’s going on in Darfur, I just wanted you to know that it’s been this bad for this long.

Second, if there is anyone out there who does know what’s going on in Darfur, I just wanted to say WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET ANGRY! GIVE A DAMN! DO SOMETHING!!!!

Go here, here, here and here if you want to help.

And just for fun, here’s an Amnesty International music video distributed today in honor of human rights.



Digg! submit to reddit Delicious

0 comments:

Post a Comment