Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Black Chrome

You can’t tell by looking at me, but anyone who knows me well can tell you that I love motorcycles. And as soon as I learn to ride (don't laugh) I intend to travel this great country on my Sportster.

So you can imagine how excited I was when I learned that the California African American Museum has an exhibit that looks at the African American contribution to motorcycle aesthetics, technology and culture in post-World War II America.

I met with the history curator for the exhibit, which runs through April 12th, and I found that not only did African Americans shape American motorcycle culture, but there’s also a special place for African American women within that culture. There’s hope for me yet.





Digg! submit to reddit Delicious

0 comments:

Post a Comment