Saturday, May 2, 2009

If you twitter, it will come

Since I have started to Twitter I find myself daydreaming (often late at night too) about what I want to have happen to me, or what I want to stumble upon, just so I can type a good twitter. Maybe I will find a worm in my burger at a trendy restaurant in Hollywood. Now that would be twiterrable. Or maybe I will discover an amazing homeless sitar player who is blind and wise. I could change a disabled, homeless person's life. And maybe get a movie made about it. "The Sitarist and the Twitterist." (I swear I didn't pick sitar because I knew I could put the two words together so brilliantly. It just happened.)

This is a new way of going about the day. I now look at things or situations and assess whether they are worthy of 140 characters or less.

I have only been twotting for a few weeks, so I am still trying to find my voice. My vwitter, if you will. I have reluctantly looked back at my entries thus far... that's the crappy part. There are numerous times throughout the day when I say ridiculous statements - that are probably about 140 characters or less - that make me cringe at myself. And now those kinds of comments are documented and reviewable forever. At least when I say lame comments, I can only hope they are forgotten with time.

It all makes me rethink what a legacy means these days. At my grandma's funeral, it was easy for those who gave eulogies to conveniently omit all of the rude things she said to people. But if she twittered? She would have been screwed.

What will happen to our online personalities when we die? Who will be in charge of sifting through all of the usernames and freeing up the ones who belong to the deceased? You know someone out there is just waiting to get twitter.com/beaarthur.

If anything, twittering has inspired me to take the time to notice the little things - the 140 characters or less things. The question is, is it more important to have things in life worth twittering or a twitter that makes life worth living? (Really, Megan? Lame. Let's hope no one read that one.)

PS: Follow me on Twitter!

Digg! submit to reddit Delicious

1 comment:

  1. Meg, I have to tell you that I love this post!

    As a writer, I often worry about the words I've written in the past. For example, I wrote a Bible Study several years ago, and now, I don't even believe in Jesus! I can just imagine those words coming back to haunt me.

    Also, Paulo Coehlo, my favorite author, hated his second book so much after publishing it, that he literally tried to remove it from bookstore shelves!! Can you believe that? But Paulo isn't "screwed" and you won't be either. What's worse is having no opinion at all.

    ReplyDelete