Thursday, April 23, 2009

Don't call me sweetie

Okay, when I hear someone call me this word...I cringe...but I am unsure of the roots of this uneasy feeling. Perhaps, the moment began when my Southern grandmother addressed my other grandmother in such a gooey manner. "Honey. Please be careful when you grab the groceries." I was around eight years old, and I reprimanded her for using a pet name to address a woman her age. "Her name is Nellie," I said. My grandmother glared at me. Was she trying to be nice?

Even as a silly kid something bugged me about the saccharin sweet dismissive: HONEY. Did I sense condescension? Was it belittling? I didn't know the word, but I certainly reacted in kind to the gesture. Some feeling made me want to sink down in that hot car seat, to blush or to come out swinging. Sound familiar?

So, let's go down the list: "Honey", "Sweetie", "Dear", "Dearie", "Dearest, "Hon", "Sweetie Pie", "Darlin". Any of these names may irk me, depending on the source. From the waitress at the coffee shop, to a college friend I haven't heard from in ages, to a supervisor at work, there is something about someone (man or woman) addressing me by anything other than MY NAME - specifically, any of the terms listed above.

But are the sweetie-calling people of the world misunderstood? Perhaps, this isn't a desire to condescend but a way to show affection? A way to reach out? Is it cultural? A way to endear? One may recall President Obama telling a female reporter during a press conference last year, "Hold on a second, sweetie." (The seemingly nice gesture didn't go over well and some screamed sexism. He later apologized to the reporter on voicemail excusing himself for the "bad habit.")

According to one online commentator, "What a silly issue. People who can take time in their life to get angry and think about something like being called sweetie needs to find something positive to do. "

But experts say this way of communicating is just plain harmful. In a study recently published in the American Journal of Alzheimers's Disease and other Dementias, such language is also known as "elderspeak" or infantilizing communication. In short, caregivers in nursing homes often use the names "dear" and "sweetie" when addressing aging patients. The result: higher rates of depression, decreased self-esteem and withdrawal among the elderly. Why? Because, no matter what the intentions may be, using the words can cause feelings of inadequacy and helplessness.

Dr. Becca Levy, professor of psychology at Yale, told the New York Times, elderspeak even poses problems in the professional world. According to Dr. Levy, "Words like 'dear' have a life of their own. It’s harder to change because people spend so much of their lives observing it without having a stake in it, not realizing it’s belittling to call someone that.”

Ultimately, ask yourself, should an adult address another adult like a two-year old who can't pick out a popsicle flavor? No. So, I suggest...think of your audience, your intention...who you are addressing.

For me, the supposedly kind gesture often makes me squirm. So stop. Please. And next time I won't ask sweetly...not even in a sweetly belittling kind of way. Perhaps, I am touchy. But I am certainly not alone. Try Googling the subject. And, if you don't want to come out and say, "Stop calling me sweetie" - Order the t-shirt.
Digg! submit to reddit Delicious

5 comments:

  1. You are not touchy. Not at all. I especially hate being called 'sweetie' in a professional environment.

    And I can't think of one man outside of my family who engenders positive feelings in me when he calls me 'sweetie' or 'honey.' And, yes, men outside of my family have called me 'sweetie' and 'honey' (THE NERVE!).

    In my personal life, honestly, it depends on the source.

    Elder women in my family can get away with calling me just about anything. And I love it when one uncle who is dear to me says "So wonderful to hear from you, sweetheart" when we talk on the phone.

    For acquaintances, well, it depends on the acquaintance. My closer friends typically use personalized nicknames for me but, I must admit, if they called me sweetie or darling or some other sugary name, it would probably make me smile (as I type I'm smiling about my one buddy who sometimes calls her girlfriends "sweetums" and I love that about her).

    But I hear you. My proper name is usually my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It bothers me not at all from older women, a bit from older men, and extraordinarily from anyone younger. Overall, I'm probably less annoyed by "sweetie" or "sugar" than I am by people who use my given name like I know them. *That* feels personal -- too personal from strangers.

    As far as family, we've got a lot of people with the same name, so it's a big day when we can find any way at all of indicating which one of us is which. And I wasn't even *sort* of raised to tell my mama or grandmother what they can call me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I hate it. I work with a woman who is from Texas who calls everyone (except me, because she knows better) "Sweetie," "Honey Bear," "Hon," etc. I also have a niece who is 11 years my junior who refers to me as "Sweetie." I've never said anything to her because I don't want to start trouble. But I find it annoying and NAUSEATING !!! If someone older than I calls me these terms of endearment, I have no issue with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yesterday I called the Court House in St Augustine and was called, "Hon". I asked the woman who said it, if she called the Judge, Hon. She said, "no.". I said why not? and she replied, if I knew him I would. I said, "Well, you don't know me."
    She became really defensive and said, "I've lived in the south all my life and that's just what we do it means nothing other than it is how we are polite. I said, "Well why would you be "polite" to me and not the judge?
    Then I said, "We are both professional women but even if one of us were not it is assumed that even in the south in 2010, that we are social equals. If you would not be disrespectful to the judge, why be disrespectful to me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. A peer in a professional context, who I don't know well at all, started calling me Sweetie and Sweetness in front of our professional colleagues and boss. I nicely approached her privately and mentioned I wasn't a big fan of nicknames and although I knew she was just trying to be nice, I would really instead appreciate her calling me by my name. I was friendly about it. But, for some reason, she completely stopped talking to me and has been saying things about me behind my back and excluding me from events that the staffers go to. This was followed by another colleague (my age) the following day calling me "lady" -- Hi Lady, etc. I then told her about how I'd really appreciate if she'd use my name and just said I'm not a fan of nicknames. She has actually been hostile to me since. I've got to be honest... I think it's rude, condescending and prefeminist. And, these folks are just doing it to me, not everybody.

    ReplyDelete